Saturday, January 31, 2009

Updating XP to MCE

I used a XP to MCE converter. I didn't follow the directions exactly in that I didn't burn the disk to a CD and boot it, but rather just ran the CD off of MagicIO. The problem occurred when I went to do the Step 4 Roll Up. It claimed it will only run on a verion of MCE, which I wasn't...

Turns out you have to modify a registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\MediaCenter\Installed <ref> and change it from a dword to a string... (at least for my setup, installed XP from a VLK build...).

Well of course you can't just go into regedit and change it. So I had to dl Offline NT Password and Reg Editor. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but it did eventually work. I had to delete the existing key and create another one with the same name, but a String. Then edit the value to 1.

It appears to be working now, yeah!

No comments: